Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Photos of Me

So I don't have very many photos of myself from this trip but I thought I'd share these two because they are kind of neat.

The first one was taken about 10 miles north of Kingman, KS by new good friend Judy Kinsler. Judy and her husband Ross put me up for an evening, fed me steak, and exposed me to more Kansas farming than I could have ever hoped to have seen in a day's time. I'm so glad Judy wanted to take a photo as I had just had a sign company in Newton, KS make these sharp signs for my trailer that show my website address. If I'd waited another week for a photo those signs would have been all muddy, and bent up like they are now. But on this day they look crisp and spiffy. Ever since I put these signs on, now I have farmers walking up to me and asking "So what is this farmland conservation all about?" What a miracle. Second best decision I've made...after going on this trip in the first place.



This second photo is the result of the advice of another road friend, Vicki Pense in Carbondale, IL. She said that she thought I should pose in the same position as the Don Quixote logo I created (with a little help from somebody they call Pablo). I had had that idea myself, but not the motivation. One evening as I pulled my bike up to a picnic table in Kremmling, CO the setting sun cast a shadow on the wall and I thought, "hey, I actually do kind of look like Don Quixote." For the next 30 minutes or so I played around trying to get a photo of my silhoette. Here's the result....



I've given quite a lot of thought to the Don Quixote analogy but I'll save that run-on sentence for another day. Thanks for the encouragement Vicki, Judy, and everyone out there that make all this impracticallity and idealism almost sensible.

All my love,

--Justin

COMMENTS


9/25/2006 10:53 AM vicki pense wrote:
Hey, the shadow Don Quixote a.k.a. Justin is great! Jeff is keeping up on your blog too as he mentioned it to me at church. I love the Wyoming/Yellowstone photos. So glad you camera is fixed you do a great job. You are almost across - Keep a goin'! God bless you and keep you and make His face to shine upon you and give you peace (and strength)

No comments: